Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A poem by Gary G Pelow, The Noise

The noise is deafening, it is all around me, beneath me, above me, on each side of me.
It is outside my apartment door in the hallway, it is on the streets in the new heat of Spring and Summer.
It blows with the bitter cold winds of winter in Rochester, NY, it is in the cold air that drops below fifty degrees below zero.
It is emanating from the people I sit next to at dinner, supposedly my loyal friends, the noise that is deafening is their when they do and do not speak.
It is deafening.
It is there when I turn on my air conditioner, and when I turn it off, in the cold or heat it is in this apartment in every room.
It is in the traffic noise outside as the cars drive by my house on this street, it is also there when there is no traffic at all.
The noise is deafening.
It is there in the middle of the night, in the dark outside, in the still of the night as I smoke  a cigarette.
It is there when strangers walk by my house and when they do not.
It is there in the conversations of my neighbors as they speak loud enough to hear them talk, it is also there when they say nothing or are not even home.
The noise is deafening.
It is there online as I work or as I entertain myself via the internet, it is there in the music, the videos, the websites.
The noise is deafening.
It is there as I cook bacon in a skillet, in the sound of the crackling of bacon.
It is there as I eat that bacon.
The noise is the complete quiet of empty loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment