Sunday, February 19, 2017

A poem by Gary G Pelow, I Atheist

I am an atheist.  This seems to trouble some people.  I tell Christians or Muslims or Jews that I am an atheist.
The different reactions are very interesting. If I tell some Christian person that I am an atheist they may say they do not believe I an atheist, they will accuse me of hating or rejecting God , that I know God is real and I am just angry at God.  Some Christians will respond to my saying I am an atheist that they feel sorry for me because I am separated from God and that they will pray for me.  I respond do as you like, I have no control over you to stop you from doing anything, including praying. But be aware that your prayers are directed to something or someone that does not exist, your imaginary friend in the sky does not exist.  If I tell a Jew that I am an atheist the reactions seem to be more varied and more positive.  There are many secular Jews that may say that my being an atheist is perfectly rational.  Orthodox Jews, if I tell them that I am an atheist they usually do not respond by trying to prosthelytize me to Judaism, they just politely say I am wrong to be an atheist, they will insist politely their God does exist, with out anger or hostility.  Conservative and reformed Jews tended not to give a shit that I am an atheist when I tell them that I am an atheist.  If I tell a Muslim that I am an atheist and I believe God, or Allah, does not exist, they may react angrily because they believe with out a shadow of a doubt that Allah is real and I am on my way to hell, Jahannam.  Or they, Muslims, may react more calmly or politely when I tell them I am an atheist but still go into a sermon about Allah and how I am rejecting him and his Prophet Mohammad.  Many Muslims are deeply entrenched into their faith, even to the point of fanaticism. They will start screaming that I am Kuffar, an unbeliever, an enemy of Islam, hurling insults and threats at me.  Other people I have told I am an atheist includes Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, and Roman Catholics.  Catholics I tell that I an atheist often react with indifference, the "fact" that I am separated from the one true Christian Church, Roman Catholicism, means I am going to hell, but that is not their problem, it is my problem they say.  When I tell Jehovah Witnesses or Mormons I am an atheist they will go straight into a vehement but polite sermon on why their churches are the one true Christian Church. They immediately start trying to convert me, but in a very odd politely way.  Of course my telling some people of any religion that I am atheist results in me being accused of being a Satanist, a Satan worshiper, A Luciferian. That is ironic because by definition an atheist does not believe Satan is a real actual being, No God, than no Satan.

No comments:

Post a Comment